Compound meters combine two or more metering technologies in a single physical unit. Each technology is described as a side. One side measures low flow and the other measures high flow. So-called super or hybrid/homemade compounds have additional sides dedicated to measuring, for example, fire and other secondary services.
A typical two-sided compound has a low flow side that measures smaller volumes of water with a greater degree of accuracy than the high flow side. In addition, each side has its own register and endpoint. As a result, each side needs to be given its own resolution and other meter spec values when provisioned in BEACON.
This document aims to demystify the process of provisioning compound meters in BEACON.
Data Exchange file Considerations
When provisioning and performing other tasks via Data Exchange, each meter should have its own row in the file. This is also true for each side of a compound meter.
To display a dual-sided compound on a single Monitor page card:
- The Location_ID, Service_Point_ID, and Meter_ID should be the same for each of its registers.
- Use the Register_Number field to identify each side by putting a 0 or L as the Register_Number of the low side, and use a 2 or H for the high side.
When provisioning compounds with more than two sides:
- Each side of the compound can have the same Location_ID, but only the first two sides should have the same Service_Point ID.
- The first two sides of the compound should share a Meter_ID, whereas additional sides should have unique Meter_IDs. This can be accomplished by simply adding an identifying abbreviation to the original Meter_ID. For example, Meter_ID 1234 could be 1234-FS for the Fire Service side of the compound. Additional sides could use 1234-XY, where XY is any abbreviation. (See Table 1 below.)
|456||123||0 or L||1|
|456||123||2 or H||1|
TIP: Use this schema in which each side of a compound meter is treated as a separate meter in BEACON when your billing vendor cannot accommodate compound meters.
Follow these simple rules of thumb when using Data Exchange files to provision compound meters:
- If the compound has two sides, use one Meter_ID and Register_Number values (0 or L for the low flow side and 2 or H for the high flow side) to identify which side is which.
- If the compound has more than two sides or if your billing vendor cannot handle processing compound meters that share a Meter ID, provision each side as a standalone meter by giving it its own row in the Data Exchange file. To distinguish which side is which, add an L or H to the Meter ID. Alternately, use the Meter Note or Meter Name fields to tell which side is which.
Provision Manually via the Assets Page Provision Tab
To manually provision a compound meter, do the following:
- In BEACON, click the Assets tab and select Provision from the menu on the left.
- Search for the pre-provisioned endpoint attached to the low side of the meter by typing at least three characters in the search field.
- Check the box to Create new Account from Location.
Note: This causes the Location ID and Location Name to be automatically duplicated as the Account ID and Account Name in the Accounts section of the Assets page. If you want the ID and Name to be different, skip step 3 and manually enter account data in the Account section of the Assets page.
- Select Create New and enter the Location information.
Note: The Location ID should be a unique number that does not change, even when a new tenant moves in or a meter is changed out.
- Select Create New and enter the Meter Details.
Note: The Meter ID should be the number engraved on the meter itself. If more than one meter is being installed at the same location, you must enter a Service ID.
- Enter the manufacturer details, and use the Registration drop-down menu to select the compound meter type installed at the location.Note: It is vital that you select the correct Registration type. If your register has an LCD display, use HRE-LCD Compound. For a complete list of Badger Meter encoder registers, see BadgerMeter.com.
- For the low side of the meter, use the Register drop-down menu and select register 0.
- Use the Meter Size Description drop-down menu and select the size of the meter.
- Use the remaining drop-down menu to select the unit of measure.
- Click Provision Endpoint.
- Search for the pre-provisioned endpoint attached to the high side of the meter by typing at least three digits of its serial number in the search field.
- Enter the Account ID that was used in step 3.
- Click Re-use Existing to select the Location information associated with the low side of the meter.
- Click Re-use Existing to re-use the meter details associated with the low side of the meter or enter new meter details if they are different from the low side of the meter.
- Use the Register drop-down and select 2 for the high side of the meter.
- Click Provision Endpoint.
- Repeat Step 1 through 10 to provision each additional side of the compound meter and their endpoints, selecting Register 0 for each in Step 7.